Monday, November 30, 2009

A Thanksgiving Frenzy

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I always await the turkey, the garlic mashed potatoes, the green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, but best of all, my crazy energetic and lively family.

The day started with my cousins coming up from Los Angeles. I was not surprised at all when my cousin Angel told us that she left her husband in L.A. because she no longer wanted to be with him. She has been trying to get away from him for the longest time and she used Thanksgiving as an excuse to leave L.A. Angel was only supposed to be visiting, but she brought plenty of things showing that she was here permanently (without her husband).

Later on that day, my grandmother was so happy about all the family getting together that she could hardly wait for everyone to show up. My grandmother lives right down the street from my parent’s house. She can barely see or walk anymore, but she still tried to make it over to my parent’s house on her own. The funny thing about it is, she did make it; however, she fell on the front porch because she couldn’t climb up the stairs. Next thing you know, my mom hears my dog Nala barking loudly. After Nala barked for about ten minutes, my mom finally went outside to see why she was barking. My grandmother was laid out on the front porch and my other dog Dooeny was trying to pick her up. Nala and Dooney are both pitbulls, but are extremely friendly. My grandmother has fallen many times and each time Nala and Dooney try to rescue her.

Once my mom finally picks my grandmother off the ground, she goes back into the house with my grandmother on her arm to find that the beans burned while she was outside. The smoke alarms in the house were going off like the crazy, both Nala and Dooney were acting like little terrors running up and down the stairs in the house and trying to find a way of getting a hold of the ham. My mom thought she was going to go crazy with the two over-energetic dogs and an elderly woman that can no longer hold her own. My mom finally got it together and settled everyone down.

If you thought everything was going to come together now, you were wrong. After my mom no longer cared about the beans she burned because all the other food came out just fine, the rest of my family started showing up to my parent’s house including Angel’s husband. How funny, she thought she could get away from him. I have no clue as to what happened between them, so I will leave that up to your imagination.

Next arrives the beer. Oh boy, here’s where things really get fun. Everyone grabs a beer and there begins the celebration of Thanksgiving drunkenness. Before anyone even has a bite to eat, they have already had about three beers. Next thing you know, everyone is up dancing and acting a fool. The music is going, the arguments between family are minimal, and the food is great.

What a great way to spend the holiday.

1 comment:

  1. Nice column, and very authentic... I trust grandma didn't get too hurt?

    ReplyDelete